Springfield, Va. — The Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc. (MBN) won 25 trophies at the 2022 Telly Awards. The Telly Awards recognize the best work created for television and video across all screens.
“Being recognized for MBN’s excellent work is a testament to all of MBN’s journalists and creative services staff for their talent, dedication and exceptional storytelling,” stated MBN Acting President Hassan Shwiki. “This is an overwhelming honor for the entire organization; I am incredibly proud of the team and the work they have created.”
Below is a list of the award-winning work:
- ElSaha.com’s Nahla Story–Overcoming Adversity is a Gold Winner in Online – Documentary: Individual. Nahla talks about growing up and being bullied because she was an orphan and her skin color. She used reading as a way to escape her reality. Now, as a 35-year-old woman, Nahla feels blessed to have those differences that made her who she is today, an advocate for orphans in Egypt.
- Alhurra Investigates–Threats Against Journalists is a Silver Winner in Promotional Video – Shows & Series. Through music, editing and dramatic footage, this 45-second promo captures the dangers journalists face every day and piques the viewers’ interest in learning more.
- ElSaha.com’s Surviving Bullying is a Silver Winner in Online – Documentary: Individual. Nael was a Sudanese teenager living as a refugee in Cairo several Egyptian teenagers beat him in a racist attack. Nael was so distraught that he asked his mother to fake a death certificate, so he could sneak back into Sudan because he didn’t feel safe in Egypt. In talking to ElSaha.com, Nael expressed his concern about the fate of his attackers. Since they were teenagers too, he realized they had made a horrible mistake and didn’t want it to impact the rest of their lives.
- Irfaasawtak.com’s (Raise Your Voice) Bomb Blast Survivor Turns Into a Champion is a Silver Winner in Online – Motivational. Irfaasawtak.com profiled Najla Imad, an Iraqi girl who survived an explosion set off by Al Qaeda in 2008. At three years old, she lost three of her limbs. Najla saw little point in life because of her disability until she discovered a sport where she excels, table tennis. Now she uses table tennis to inspire others.
- Alhurra Investigates–Lebanon’s Illegal Emigration is a Silver Winner in Television – Public Interest/Awareness. The episode reports on Lebanese citizens so desperate to escape their country that they give all their money to smugglers and risk their lives on ‘death boats’ in the hopes of reaching Europe.
- Alhurra Investigates– Ethiopia’s Tigray War is a Silver Winner in Television – News or News Feature. Alhurra Investigates examined the reasons behind the outbreak of the bloody conflict in the fall of 2020 and how it turned into organized ethnic cleansing that has left thousands dead and more than 2 million displaced. The Alhurra Investigates report exposed violations in the region during the war, based on eyewitness accounts and investigations by international and human rights organizations.
- Word of Truth-Female Genital Mutilation Promotion is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Shows & Series
- 2020 U.S. Presidential Debate Promo is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Media Promotion
- The Capitol Augmented Reality is a Bronze Winner in Immersive & Mixed Reality – Journalism & News
- Air Force One Augmented Reality is a Bronze Winner in Immersive & Mixed Reality – Journalism & News
- U.S. Elections Augmented Reality is a Bronze Winner in Immersive & Mixed Reality – Journalism & News
- 2020 Presidential Elections Promo is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Media Promotion
- What Comes Next for China is a Bronze Winner in Online – Series: Documentary
- Debatable-The Role of Satan in Religion is a Bronze Winner in Television – Religious/Spiritual
- Real or Made Up is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Use of Stock Footage
- Suicide or Play is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Use of Stock Footage
- Alhurra’s Promotion for “Chinese Muslims” is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Shows & Series
- Alhurra’s Promotion for “The Vote” is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Shows & Series
- A Mother’s Love is a Bronze Winner in Online – Social Issues
- The Return of Gilgamesh’s Tablet to Iraq is a Bronze Winner in Online – News/News Feature
- History of Egyptian Cuisine is a Bronze Winner in Online – Food & Beverage
- Chapters Promo is a Bronze Winner in Promotional Video – Podcast
- LGBTQ+ Community in Lebanon is a Bronze Winner in Online – Social Impact
- Alhurra’s 2020 Election Compilation is a Bronze Winner in Non-Broadcast – Low Budget (under $700 per minute)
- Two Dollars–When Poverty Leads to Suicide is a Bronze Winner in Television – Social Impact
The Middle East Broadcasting Networks is a non-profit corporation is financed by the U.S. Government through a grant from USAGM. MBN operates Alhurra Television, an Arabic-language television network that broadcasts to 22 countries in the Middle East and North Africa via satellite, as well as Alhurra-Iraq Television. MBN also operates Sawa, radio and its two dedicated streams, one to Iraq and the other to the Levant. It is available via FM throughout these two areas and provides more than 15 hours of news and information daily on each stream.
Find out more
Contact Deirdre Kline
Director of Communications, Alhurra Television, Radio Sawa